About The Weekday School
The Weekday School at Riverside Church is a play-based, independent early childhood school on the Upper West Side of New York City, serving families with children ages two through five with preschool and kindergarten classes. Our diverse community fosters sharing, understanding, and respect while focusing on the social, emotional, cognitive, and physical development of each child. We celebrate each child’s unique gifts and are dedicated to teaching children to become confident learners, passionate explorers, and discerning risk-takers.
The Weekday School is committed to the overall development of our children and their exploration of the world around them. In addition to neighborhood parks and playgrounds, our students are able to expand their learning in several indoor and outdoor play areas:
- A first floor playground features a large play structure and giant cubes.
- The rooftop playground is equipped with bicycles and tricycles for riding, a large dome climber and hollow blocks for building.
- The Gymnasium located on the A level below the church is a full-size gym where equipped with mats for tumbling, jump ropes, balls and a running track.
- The Solarium on the 8th floor is used for building tunnels and building with blocks.
Our commitment to diversity extends across faiths and traditions. We provide our children a culturally diverse experience as they learn about varying holidays and traditions through music, art and dance. Families and friends are encouraged to share experiences and knowledge with our school community. Not only do the students learn through these different perspectives, but it continues to develop rich learning experiences for all if us in the Weekday community! We have an active Parent’s Association who further support school based events. These events are well attended and often lead to deeper community building relationships.
The Weekday School is located on seventh floor and eight floor of the Martin Luther King (MLK) Wing of the Riverside Church. Our school offers stunning vistas of the Hudson River as well as city views of Harlem and Morningside Heights. Our classrooms were specifically designed as an early childhood learning center and have thoughtful, spacious rooms that provide an optimal learning environment for our young students.
Support for the Ongoing School Process
The Weekday School seeks to prepare children for ongoing public and independent schools. We offer a variety of resources to assist families as they explore ongoing school options. During the year, the school sponsors evening events at which parents can learn about ongoing schools.
Some of the co-ed and single sex independent schools our children have transitioned to are:
- The Cathedral School of St. John the Divine
- Bank Street School for Children
- Ethical Culture Fieldston School
- The Riverdale Country School
- The Dalton School
- Trinity School
- The School at Columbia
- Manhattan Country School
- The Spence School (all girls)
- The Brearley School (all girls)
- The Chapin School (all girls)
- The Allen-Stevenson School (all boys)
- St. David’s School (all boys)
- The Browning School (all boys)
Admissions and Financial Assistance
The Weekday School is a non-profit, non-sectarian school with a non-discriminatory admissions policy. We seek to balance culture, race and gender within our age-based classes. It is our goal to provide high-quality, affordable education. Financial assistance is available to children from qualifying families.
Children ages 2–5 are eligible for September admission. The application process includes a visit to the school and play date.
The Weekday School is a member of the Independent Schools Admissions Association of Greater New York (ISAAGNY) and abides by its admissions policies and dates.